This is a work in progress flowsheet showing the various stages I went through to get Sir Madox painted for the Black Angel poster.
Row 1) The top left is the original Comp drawing, followed by the drawing on the board and then the face with its initial tonal treatment.
Row 2) Flat washes of color cover the entire board, followed by working up the color levels in his face with fairly robust line and paint treatment. For the final image in this row, I've tried to change some of the color qualities of his face and to add his beard - a challenge given its wiry consistency...
Row 3) More changes to the color hues and loose application of paint color to his hair - I want to try and show that its wet and sticking to his head. In the middle image, I have got most things in place but I am unhappy with the rope-like quality of his hair and I've also lost the contrast on the left side of his head which I wanted to preserve. BTW, in this image you might be able to see that I have started using Prismacolor pencils over the Acrylic paint in order to fill in the rough paintwork and to enhance the finer detail. The final image (right) is Sir Madox 85% finished and as you can see, I've reworked almost everything. Besides revisiting all the tonal areas, I have also slowly built up finer and finer detail over the surface of his face using Prismacolor pencils and paint applied with very thin brushes.
Madox will probably remain like this until I have completed more of the composition because he might require some reworking when I see how everything else has turned out